Sunday, November 24, 2013

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by: April Genevieve Tucholke

Title: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Shelves: Young Adult, Paranormal. Gothic Horror
Recommended For Fans Of: Kate Karyus Quinn, Nova Ren Suma, Kendare Blake

Synopsis: Violet and her brother Luke have been on their own since their peculiar grandmother died many years ago. Stuck with absentee parents and a bill they can no longer afford to pay, Violet must figure out a way to rake in the money she and her brother needs to survive. Enter River West, the mysterious, good-looking and dangerous new boy in town. River wants to rent Violet's guesthouse and agrees to pay her a large sum of money that will keep Violet and her brother safe. What Violet doesn't count on is the threat that just might have come in the form of a certain powerful, corruptive, and enchantingly captive boy named River West. Now Violet struggles to draw the line between right and wrong as she is pulled in deeper and deeper until she's between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Review: I'm struggling to write this review. For very good reasons. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea  is a very eerie and eccentric novel by April Genevieve Tucholke. Violet and Luke live in a sleepy, old town that has a very old-fashioned and weary feel to it. Although the author never specified what time period or year this book is set it, I am going to guess it takes place in maybe an earlier time. Now that I think about it, I don't really remember the use of high-tech gadgets at all.

I am still having trouble writing this review. The characters. Well, none of them were very likable at all. Violet was rash and seemed to have a lot of air in her head, Summer was annoying and a slut, Luke was just plain weird, and River was a temperamental and cocky boy. But, none of that really matters at all. I found myself saying, "who cares if these character's aren't even remotely perfect? It's still an amazing story." And it really is. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is very edgy and sinister. You'll get the chills more than once when you read it.

The storyline was almost perfect. There were some minor flaws that I can not even point out now because they were so insignificant. It was suspenseful and intense. The scenes flowed wonderfully and April added plot twists that kept the story alive and riveting.

Conclusion: This is important guys! Have any of you seen the trailer for the upcoming 2014 movie, Endless Love yet? Well if you have, then you will know what I am talking about! For those of you who have not, please go watch it! If you listen, you will hear this spooky song play in the background. This maybe 30 seconds of music was all I heard while I was reading Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. The lyrics are perfect and the way Skylar Grey sings it is so creeptastic. The real name of the song is "Addicted to Love" cover by Skylar Grey, but a full version has yet to be released. The only portion you can hear of it is in the Endless Love trailer. If any of you are willing to check out this trailer, and tell me what you think in the comments, then you are as awesome as cherry pie:D (the good kind, not the bad kind)


xoxo,
Fiction_TheNewReality

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, I have this novel sitting on my nightstand and hope to pick it up soon. The characters and world sound wonderfully done and I am glad it did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! Thanks for reading my review! I hope you do have a chance to read this book soon. Have a great Thanksgiving!
      -Jayne

      Delete
  2. This is one of my most anticipated reads, and lucky for me it is sitting on my shelf. Now I just have to hurry up with library books so I can read it already. I love spooky stories. I love it when a book can give me chills, and often. It seems to me that will happen with this book, and that just makes me even more excited to read it. Thank you for your review. You have encouraged me to hurry up and finish with library books so I can get to my own bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... Uh... *glances around* I DNFed this book.... I kept trying and trying to like it. I mean the cover was gorgeous and it sounded fantastic but it had this slow and sleepy kind if feeling to me. I can't even explain it, but I just couldn't get through the book!
    I guess that it just wasn't my thing....
    In really glad you enjoyed it though! The fact that it had characters that you didn't really like, yet it pulled you in anyways is fantastic! This book has to be a true gem to do that!
    Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this on my bookshelf for a while and read it not to long ago and I just couldn't finish! The characters were the down fall for me :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book does sound perfect for me. I tend to enjoy eccentric novels a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVED this book. LOVED. I really wish more YA authors would write Gothic novels. It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would really like the continuation of the story! I have read too the summary on Good Reads and it harbors such potential!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read this one, since I've heard so many good reviews for it! Yours being another one that makes me want to read it! But now that I know it has a sequel I am so waiting for the sequel to come out so I can read them back to back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book have been on my reading list for a while. Your review made me more eager to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read this book! It's been on my TBR list ever since it's came out, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I've read tons of positive reviews like yours, so I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete